GULF DIGITAL NEWS
7th APRIL 2015 - Vol.XXXVIII No.018
Local News

Reservist's wife 'admits murder'

THE wife of a Navy reservist, who was based in Bahrain and was reportedly due to return for another year of duty next month, admitted arranging to have him murdered in Raleigh, North Carolina, US, to get her hands on insurance money.

Paul Berkley, 46, of Clayton died in a hospital hours after he was shot in the head at the Millbrook Exchange Park on Sunday.

Monique Berkley, 26, is charged in the slaying along with two 18-year-old men, including one with whom she allegedly was having an affair during her husband's deployment to Bahrain.

"The motive for the crime was financial. The perpetrators hoped to collect insurance money," said Raleigh Police Sgt J C Perry, declining to say how much is alleged to have been involved.

Mr Berkley suspected his wife was having an affair and told his daughter, Beckey, that he planned to get a divorce, police said.

The daughter, who wasn't implicated in the crime, passed that on to her stepmother and the woman's lover, Andrew Canty.

Becky's boyfriend Latwon Johnson is also charged in the slaying.

Sgt Perry said that Monique "has provided investigators with a confession to her role in this crime and she has implicated Andrew Canty as well as Latwon Johnson."

Mr Berkley was shot and killed in a Raleigh park early on Sunday morning. His wife was bleeding from a gunshot wound to the shoulder when she called police to the scene.

The Berkleys had been to dinner in Clayton, a Raleigh suburb where they lived, and went to a late showing of the movie King Kong, before going to a nearby park. Sgt Perry said that the plan had been for Monique to be beaten up to make it appear she and her husband had been attacked.






click on image to view the digital edition