7th APRIL 2015 - Vol.XXXVIII No.018
Local News

Repatriation row over dead cyclist

THE sponsor of a Bangladeshi cyclist, who was killed in a horrific accident in Manama, is reportedly refusing to bear the cost of repatriating his body, it emerged yesterday.

Friends of 32-year-old handyman Foiz Ahmed told the GDN that the sponsor had allegedly even taken BD100 from them, because he wanted them to pay for other formalities.

The sponsor is yet to resolve compensation, pending salaries (if any) and end-of-services benefits, say Bangladesh Embassy officials.

Mr Ahmed, who died on his way to the hospital, was knocked down by a pick-up at around 9pm on June 7 when he was cycling along Kuwait Avenue towards Police Fort, Manama.

The pick-up, driven by a Bahraini in his 40s, hit the bicycle, throwing Mr Ahmed to the other side of the road-divider in front of another pick up heading towards Adliya.

Bangladesh Embassy officials confirmed yesterday that they had been trying to contact the sponsor to come forward and complete the paperwork.

"He has not come at all," said an embassy spokesman.

"He only got all the clearances and other paperwork completed and sent, along with Mr Ahmed's passport, to the embassy."

The embassy said that it had been trying to reach the sponsor, who was either evading their calls or his mobile was switched off.

"On few occasions when we managed to reach him, he promised to come to the embassy, but never turned up," said the spokesman.

He said that the sponsor promised he would come yesterday noon to complete the formalities, but did not show up.

"We have been trying to reach him but his mobile is switched off. We have tried tracing him to his home but no success," he said.

The spokesman said the embassy is still not sure what Mr Ahmed earned from working with his sponsor.

"We know he was in Bahrain for two years and should have some dues left to be paid," he said.

"Even if no dues are pending, the sponsor is legally bound to pay for the repatriation costs and compensation."

A friend of Mr Ahmed, who did not wish to be named, said he was due to complete his first two years in Bahrain a day after he died.

"His visa was up for renewal and he was quite excited," he said. "He wanted to go home to see his wife and four-year-old son and be with his old parents, for whom he was the only breadwinner."

The sponsor could not be reached for comments yesterday.

[email protected]

click on image to view the digital edition