LOS ANGELES: This year's Golden Globes ceremony has been cancelled, organisers said yesterday, making the star-studded awards show the highest-profile casualty of the Hollywood writer's strike.
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) and broadcasters NBC announced the decision to replace the show with a Press conference after actors vowed to boycott the event in support of striking writers.
The HFPA and NBC said that instead of the traditional dinner and awards ceremony, this year's Golden Globes winners would be revealed on Sunday in Beverly Hills.
The influential movie industry blog deadlinehollywooddaily.com reported earlier that stars would still be able to attend a red carpet arrivals event prior to the Press conference.
However, a studio publicist quoted questioned how many stars would bother attending a Press conference instead of a champagne dinner.
A watered-down Golden Globes could threaten the box office and Oscar prospects for nominated movies. While it is impossible to know which pictures will feel the pinch, movies like Sweeney Todd and The Great Debaters were cited around town as films that could have used the Globes for extra octane; the December releases are still in theatres with respective sales of $38 million (BD14.29m) and $22m (BD8.27m).
The association will forgo any network payment - reported to be $5 million (BD1.88m) - for the broadcast, said a source. But NBC will have exclusive electronic rights to the show and will be able to sell advertising for it, he said. Although other TV media won't be given access, print outlets will, according to the agreement between NBC and the association.